Monday, May 4, 2015

The First and the Last Prom Dress

     Hi! Today I'll be sharing a bit about my senior prom adventure, the first prom I've ever attended, and it will likely be the last. Now, since I don't actually attend the school which prom was hosted by, (in fact, I don't attend a school that puts on a prom!) I was not anticipating going. But, I told my woes to my dear mother, and to my surprised, I was asked the next day! Generally speaking, I'm not really into dancing, nor dating, nor getting dressed up really, unless its a fantastic costume. Though for this particular event, I gave myself the green light to be a star-struck girl stuck in dreamland. Originally, I told myself that I was absolutely NOT allowed to make my own dress. I wanted to just buy one and wear it, because its only one night, and I had about three weeks to design/create. But, being myself, I couldn't find anything remotely close to what I was looking for, nor anything that I would feel comfortable wearing in public. My parents nixed the strapless look, which eliminated several dresses, and at one point, I was thinking of purchasing a dress, and altering it. At this point, I simply decided it would be easier to just make the dress than deal with all of the alterations.
Flashback-- In 2010ish I saw Emma Watson wear this dress on the red carpet:


     I loved the dress at first sight, but  its a red carpet-one-of-a-kind-you'll-never-get-your-hands-on-it kind of dress, plus I had a sort of limited budget. So, when I was looking for dress designs, this appeared to be the perfect solution. Straps? Check. Full skirt? Check. Unique design? Check. Fun to dance in? Double check. And since I only had three weeks, I went shopping for the fabric that day, and it was time to call in reinforcements. My grandma is an excellent seamstress, and she actually made my mom's prom dresses back in the day, so she was my hail Mary. I got the first round of fabrics (and a good base pattern for the shell/overlay) plus notions and thread for about $100.00. The base dress is made of a cream linen, while the top is a 'fashion fabric' with metallic threads woven in. The skirt is three different colors of tulle, a light cream (closer to the base dress color), grey and a coffee-toned brown. Unfortunately, I grossly underestimated the amount of brown/grey tulle I was going to need, and had to go back to buy about $30.00 worth later. The overlay is the cream-toned tulle in a double layer reinforced with clear hem tape. I cut everything out (mostly following the pattern, but not really) and sent it off to grandmas house for construction. She put the bodice together, and I made the skirt, then we collaborated and sewed the whole thing together.
This is the skirt when it was mostly finished, the only mirror in our home that would fit its major fluffiness was the bathroom, but only if I was standing on the ledge of the tub!

The skirt also occupied more space than a human being does in my car...

And here it is all finished!

This is the most accurate depiction color-wise, I wanted to go for a nice gradient in the skirt, and add more of the coffee undertones.

     It was a really fun project, and I felt like a princess. I got a lot of compliments, and a lot of: "Wow! You MADE that?!" Overall, I would definitely recommend making a prom dress, I had a lot of fun, and it is really cool to be able to wear your own handy work in public, because it doesn't happen too often!
     Thanks for listening!

4 comments: